Most wanted characteristic in your PMO Director?

This forum is for members to share and gain knowledge of Project Management. Got a question about project management? Need help with a problem? Wish to offer tips and advice? Post here.
begeland

If you are a PM in a project management office (PMO) or if you wish your organization had a PMO, what 'feature' or characteristic of the PMO Director would be at the top of your wish list? Or if you already have a great PMO Director in place (or even if that's YOU), what is the quality or characteristic or work ethic that makes him or her great at what they are doing?

Brad
kwalford
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

In one word, Integrity!

A manager that you can trust and who is honest is always the characteristic that is top of my list.

The ability to trust your manager and know he/she 'has your back', and is supportive are really key traits to me.

I try and remain as honest with my resources as possible. Once you have burnt that trust then people will struggle to trust you and your direction

Really good post too. I knew straight away (literally within seconds) what me answer would be.
dhaughey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi Brad,

In a word, Leadership.

I want my PMO Director to lead from the front. There's no room for indecision.

For me the PMO Director needs to:
  1. Set the agenda and direction for the PMO.
  2. Bring the right people together to achieve his/her objectives.
  3. Innovate and develop approaches that help PMs deliver successful projects.
  4. Look at the big picture; what should the PMO look like to deliver maximum business benefit?
  5. Be accountable for the success or failure of the PMO.
Leadership is an intangible human quality that inspires us to follow the agenda and direction set by another.

Thanks for introducing this topic. I'm interested to hear what others think.

Duncan