Project Planner Software

This forum is for members to share and gain knowledge of Project Management. Got a question about project management? Need help with a problem? Wish to offer tips and advice? Post here.
imonk

Hi all,

I am relatively new to the project management game and I just had a quick questions regarding my software options. I am looking for a good/easy to use software that will let me create a project data list while simultaneously giving me a visual timeline view. I noticed there is a lot of software that provide you with Gantt chart options, but I need the timeline view.

Something similiar to this excel sheet I have been using, but better:
http://www.vertex42.com/ExcelArticles/c ... eline.html

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
Ian
johntc29

Hi Ian,

Have a look at projectplace. They have a visual timeline that can be connected to their action boards.

Good luck
John
Mohamed.Benmerikhi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Hi Ian,

It is true that there are a lot of software packages out there. I have recently done a template for comapring Project Management software packages. I managed to draft a list of about a hundred and classified them by their attributes. I can post it to you if you provide me with your email address.

However, there's SMARTSHEET on cloud. After an online registration, the company let's you use a basic version which allows you to do your Gantts and timelines. You may store your work online and navigate through the various options available for general project management. I think it lasts 28 days beyond which you can negotiate a monthly fee with the company.

Take care
Mohamed Benmerikhi
dhaughey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi Mohamed,

If agreeable, perhaps you could post your template here. What do you think?

Cheers,
Duncan
imonk

Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback. These are all great options, but they don't seem to suit my needs. These solutions are only providing me with a gantt chart option.

I am trying to maintain a visual representation like the one achieved here: http://www.vertex42.com/ExcelArticles/c ... eline.html, titled "Events in the life of Benjamin Franklin". I have been using this, but re-purposed it to get a great visual representation of my teams projects throughout each fiscal year.

Kind regards,
Ian
Mohamed.Benmerikhi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Hi Duncan,

Sure I can post the template provided the system supports big size files, otherwise i can email you.

Take care
Mohamed Benmerikhi
dhaughey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi Mohamed,

File size is not a problem, so please go ahead and upload.

Thanks,
Duncan
Mohamed.Benmerikhi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Hi Duncan,

I have just uploaded the file for you. Hope you find it useful.
Regards

Mohamed Benmerikhi
Attachments
Specifications of PM packages.doc
A summary of Project Management packages with their specifications
(663 KiB) Downloaded 401 times