How much experience do you need to realistically pass the PMP exam?

This forum is for members to share and gain knowledge of Project Management. Got a question about project management? Need help with a problem? Wish to offer tips and advice? Post here.
kwalford
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Hi All,

I have very limited Project Management experience and I am currently in a telecoms/IT Project Co-ordinator role for the last 3 years. I am studying my Prince2 exams now and I am looking to do either the APMP or PMP after my Prince2.

My question is, will I find the PMP too diffuicult as I do not have a great deal of Project management experience? A lot of sources state that you need 3 yrs Project management experience to do the PMP.

Would the APMP be more achievable and realistic with my limited Project management experience?

Any input is welcome.

Many thanks.
dhaughey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi i3666,

Here are the experience requirements for candidates wising to take the PMP exam:
  1. Candidates holding a baccalaureate degree: 4,500 hours minimum Project Management experience gained within the last 8 years prior to application and covering at least 36 unique, non-overlapping months is required.
  2. Candidates not holding a baccalaureate degree: 7,500 hours minimum Project Management experience gained within the last 8 years prior to application and covering at least 60 unique, non-overlapping months is required.
The experience must include leading and directing project tasks.

The PMI's Experience Verification Form is used to document and report project management experience. This Excel worksheet is useful to assist with documentation of your project experience:

PMP Exam Application Spreadsheet

I worked my way to PMP via PRINCE2 and built up my experience. APMP might be a good next step. Use the spreadsheet to see where you are now, and update it as you go to make a record of your project management experience.

Hope this helps.

Duncan
kwalford
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Thanks Duncan.

I think with my limited PM experience that the APMP cert for Prince2 Practitioners would be most appropiate. Am I right in saying that that APMP covers a similar syllabus at the PMP (Pmbok)?
cornelius.fichtner
Expert Member
Expert Member

Hello i3666,

I'm a PMP trainer and I cannot speak for the APMP exam, but I believe that you may have "just about" enough experience to take the PMP exam. (Basically you need 36 month / 4,500 hours of experience with a Bachelor's degree.)

But please watch the first video in this series on YouTube here: http://www.project-management-prepcast.com/8videos

The first video covers the basic eligibility requirements, allowing you to judge for yourself.
Until Next Time,
Cornelius Fichtner, PMP
kwalford
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Thanks guys, it makes interesting reading.