New to PM

This forum is for members to share and gain knowledge of Project Management. Got a question about project management? Need help with a problem? Wish to offer tips and advice? Post here.
laputa01

Just read the article 'Top Ten Qualities of a Project Manager'. I would like anyone to share why and how they got into Project Management?

Many thanks
dhaughey
Site Admin
Site Admin

My job took me into project management, it wasn't a conscious choice I'm made. Later I did the PRINCE2 Practitioner and PMP to firm up my skills and became a professional project manager.

I think many people have jobs that at least in part contain elements of project management, often they just don't realise it.

Most project managers I know didn't leave college thinking they'd become a project manager, that happened later in their career.

In his article 'How to Become a Project Manager' David Litten talks about the eight skills needed on the path to project management.
mattshearer

Yep - project management is a huge area; lots of types of PM, scenarios that need PM, and flavours of PM frameworks.

I ended up in Programme (an interlinked [with dependencies] group of projects) and Portfolio (a related group of independent projects) management via project management.

My route was:-
  • Biology, to...
    Teaching, whilst...
    doing some corporate graphics on the side, a combination of which led to...
    fiddling around on the internet, and then...
    I started some freelance web projects, which led to...
    becoming a webmaster, and gradually increasing technical expertise, to become a...
    Technical Project Manager (i.e. a PM who has hands on experience with the technical medium in question), and then a...
    Team leader, and now a...
    Programme and Portfolio Manager.
Any questions on the above - PM me :)