Career Advice

This forum is for members to share and gain knowledge of Project Management. Got a question about project management? Need help with a problem? Wish to offer tips and advice? Post here.
PapeAdam

Hi there,
I am 19 and currently studying a Level 3 BTEC National Diploma in Construction and the Built Environment and my career aim is to become a Construction Project Manager. I just wanted to know what would be the best way for me to achieve it, i.e. what course to study at uni etc. Will I need to start as a Site manager after completion of my degree just to get my foot on the ladder. Any help would be greatly appreciate.
Thank you very much.
peggynevers

Level 3 BTEC National Diploma is a degree course that takes about three years to complete full time. Competition is intense for these courses. You need good A levels, including a science subject, or equivalent, and experience working in a care environment to be considered for a place.

I think that you are overly romanticizing the idea of a career. It's normal to change careers several times in your life, so it's not like you'll be forced into one industry your entire life.

Nothing is every going to be absolutely perfect and always fun. A job is after all, a job. Some parts you'll like, other parts may get repetitive/boring and that's perfectly normal.

First, I would decide how many years of college you are willing to do/can afford.
Then, I would capitalize on your skills in BTEC National diploma so that you can be successful in school and intern in this industry.

Then, look at the jobs that offer the salary to maintain the type of lifestyle you want.
Then, do what you need to in order to get that job.