Page 1 of 1
Skills of a Public Sector Project Manager
Posted: Fri 01 Jun 2012 12:04 pm
Hi, I'm studying a Diploma in Project Management and would like to hear from you more experienced people what you feel are the key skills and techniques needed in public sector project management over the private sector? Thanks
Re: Skills of a Public Sector Project Manager
Posted: Mon 02 Jul 2012 2:42 am
- Understanding the political processes and how they affect getting things done.
- Relationship management and building alliances is a must.
- Patience is a must because in a political environment wheels turn very slowly.
- Acceptance of change, politicians are forever changing their minds and goals according to political whims of the time.
- Public speaking and presentation is a must because you will have to present information to endless boards and committees.
- Ability to deal with a highly bureaucratic systems is also a must.
These six items come readily to mind, I am sure other project managers will think of a lot more to add to the list.