PMI places great importance on Decomposition - you’ll need to know the technique and understand how it is applied to projects. So, what better way to learn about Decomposition than by jumping feet first into the fire (surely there’s joke there…decomposition – fire…but, I digress)! Anyway, why not give it a try on one of your current projects? Apply what you’re studying in real life! Here’s how to get started:
- Determine your main project deliverables
- Create a high-level Work Breakdown Structure (WBS) by ‘chunking’ work into smaller tasks
- Continue to break down high-level tasks into smaller tasks
- Create a system for tracking each task
- Verify that the resulting tasks are manageable
Just one word of caution: Make sure that you’re not spending more time ‘decomposing,’ tracking, and managing tasks than it would take to simply get the work done. Your job is to simplify—not to create more work!