What do you think about instinctive managers?

This forum is for members to share and gain knowledge of Project Management. Got a question about project management? Need help with a problem? Wish to offer tips and advice? Post here.
AFA Med

Hi,

I would like to emphasize a good quality that managers must have, namely "being able to make decisions relying on his own instinct".

To be honest with you, I do not have a large number of certifications or stuff like that, but I succeeded resolving big issues of my clients thanks to my instinct and good reasoning throughout my experience in my consulting firm.

The biggest challenge is to correctly balance insight and instinct, and not be influenced by emotions.

What are your ideas, opinions about "instinctive management", are you letting yourselves be guided by you internal radar, or just sticking to statistics and strict procedures?
dhaughey
Site Admin
Site Admin

As human beings, we aren't as rational as we think we are. We all rely on instinct when making decisions or are, at least influenced by it. Bearing in mind that we seldom have exhaustive data available when making decisions, there is usually some element of instinct. However, it needs to be balanced. I know a manager who relies solely on instinct and often comes unstuck. A balance of instinct and data is required. Instinct definitely plays a part in better decision making.
jayashree
Expert Member
Expert Member

Successful managers have always had good instinct.
stonesfan
Expert Member
Expert Member

Agree that good managers are able to make instinctive decisions that usually turn out for the best. However, its not uncommon that a perceived good instinct can correlate with years of experience too. My father told me this and I've no reason to disbelieve him. I'd made some good decisions in a project and had put it down to 'gut feeling' and 'luck'. However, he suggested that my experience was also responsible for the good outcomes, even if at a subconscious level.

Agree with Dhaughey that one's own subjectivity can actually be the cause of poor decisions too though. Especially when it comes to making estimates. This was covered in fair detail in the APMP curriculum. Its recognising that we are vulnerable to over confidence at times and not being thorough or following processes enough. Some managers I know, either at a technical or business level often scoff at methodologies and the like. I've heard things such as "either you can do the job or you can't". Very brave, but often they end up firefighting simply to stay afloat and blame others for not being up to it in the process.