Project Management Software

This forum is for members to share and gain knowledge of Project Management. Got a question about project management? Need help with a problem? Wish to offer tips and advice? Post here.
nazafridi

I have finished my Post Graduate Degree in Project Management, I have used Ms Project Professional during my study, but can anyone help with suggestion for most usable project management software tool in workplace. Thanks.
dhaughey
Site Admin
Site Admin

I've just started managing a new software development project, and the tools I'm using are:
  • Microsoft Project for planning the project
  • Trello for managing work packages
  • JIRA for bug tracking
Both Trello and JIRA have free versions. I know some companies don't like using cloud-based tools and feel safer with tools behind their firewalls. However, projects increasingly involve third parties that cannot always access these in-house tools. Efficient project collaboration is a challenge using in-house tools alone. I've not encountered any issues using Trello and JIRA with their built-in privacy features. Needless to say, I never load any confidential or sensitive data.

In Trello we have a board that shows progress of work packages as follows:
  • To do
  • In progress
  • On hold with questions
  • Ready for testing
  • Complete
  • Risks and issues
We also log any enhancement requests ready for discussion with the customer at a later date.

Duncan
begeland

I have primarily used MS Project for the projects I've managed, though I've spent at least some time looking at dozens of different PM software packages. You can find some good feature comparison charts online by searching for "project management software", "project management software comparison", and many others that you can experiment with. Most are fairly inexpensive and come with free 15, 30 or 60 day trials. My recommendation would be get a few free trials and request online demos - most vendors are happy to sign you up with a personal demo.

Brad
PhilipAndersen

nazafridi wrote:I have finished my Post Graduate Degree in Project Management, I have used Ms Project Professional during my study, but can anyone help with suggestion for most usable project management software tool in workplace. Thanks.
Most usable really depends on the company. How detailed do you need the project management software to be? Do you need resource planning, risk management, prioritization or something more advanced?

If not you might have a look at Asana, which is a cloud based PM solution, and it is free for up to 15 users, so it might be a good place to start.
Co-founder of Omnirocket.
iMark

Our team use 4PM web based project management application. It has lots of features such as task management, time tracking, resource management, document management, communication and so on. I really recommend it.
TJ_Brooks

Hi,

Congrats on finishing your Post Graduate Degree in Project Management.

I understand you're looking for suggestions for the most usable project management software tool for the workplace.

I think being able to view the total number of tasks and work hours assigned to a team member or team resource on any day is always a helpful tool in PM software. What kind of features are you interested in from PM software?

TJ
TonyD
Recognised Member
Recognised Member

We actually use plain old Microsoft Excel. Sometimes MS Project is just overkill, and a simple Excel spreadsheet is all you need to track the work tasks and progress. Our PMO has created an Excel template that we use as our WBS and personally I prefer that over using MS Project as its less work to keep it updated and easier to manage.
"When you fail to plan, you plan to fail" - Benjamin Franklin