What is your Project Management Software tool of choice?

This forum is for members to share and gain knowledge of Project Management. Got a question about project management? Need help with a problem? Wish to offer tips and advice? Post here.
Danbone

MS Excel. It is in fact one of the very few pieces of software used by our PM team. I know it's not project specific, but it's a useful tool used by projects none the less.

You can do about anything with it. Trackers, Matrix, Lists and sums! EVERYONE can use it and it has a handy filter option to find things easy!
askcow

I suppose, you have to try askcow groupware. It is much simpler than MS Project and Oracle Primavera, yet powerful enough to handle a complicated project with a thousands of tasks and hundreds of empoyees.

And be sure, askcow is much comfortable and clear than JIRA, even for bug-tracking, because all issues are stored into an easy manageable tree with unlimited depth.

askcow is built around cutting-edge technology, so the software is very fast and highly secure.

Anyway, different business requires different solutions, and probably you'll find askcow fit and useful. It's free for a month and no credit cards needed for registration.

Have a nice day.
dhaughey
Site Admin
Site Admin

I agree with Danbone - MS Excel is a useful tool for project managers. I use an Excel RAID Log to track my project risks, assumptions, issues and dependencies. I also use Excel to track budgets, plan resources and record holidays and sickness.

Below is the RAID Log template I use.

Duncan
Attachments
raid-log-template.xlsx
(33.6 KiB) Downloaded 1140 times
begeland

I, too, agree on MS Excel. I use it every day for something. On projects I'm always using it to track risks, issues, and financials. I've got a budget/financial forecast template that basically builds in the resource forecast and I update the forecast every week with actuals so I know how much over or under my project is projecting to finish at all times. Really helps keep any project budget of mine from getting out of hand before I can take corrective action.

Brad
Nadav

We really wanted our teams to enjoy the dynamics of Agile but still keep it within a plan structure and have some certainty regarding timings, budgets and so on.

Problem was that most of the project management tool are either good for agile or for more traditional planning (like Waterfall) but not for both.

We found that a lot of teams, like ours, want to work agile, but management insists on having long-term plans and delivery estimates. That's basically what Gigantt does: short-term agile that merges into a long-term plan. e.g. running Scrum sprints in Gigantt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... 7gbzL0NctY

Gigantt is zoomable, so managers can set the high-level goals, while teams dive in and create sub-tasks to reach those goals.

If you’re of a company with a few teams that like agile, and you still need to know when your project will (successfully) end, by all means, give it a go. It’s still free on Gigantt.com.
I'm one of the co-founders, btw, so feel free to ask me any questions about it.

Nadav
begeland

Nadav-
Thanks for the post and info on Gigantt. Interesting twist on the merge between usefulness on Agile and Waterfall development approaches. I'll check out the embedded video..thanks.

Brad
Sarah

My company is using Teamwork (http://twproject.com) right now and that we are quite happy with it. I did not participate to the selection process, but I know that we were searching for a software focused on projects management and time recording.

Teamwork in this sense does the trick, it manages projects structure very well also with a great Gantt chart (I use it a lot), it manages resources, costs and time spent on projects.

It has also an issue tracking system inside, but we do not use it. Oh and it has also an agenda integrated with the team that is quite useful.

Here is my experience, hope it helps!!
MarkJH

In my company we have tested others solutions before, but we are currently using ITM Platform Projects & Teamwork (http://www.itmplatform.com/en/projects-and-teamwork) and we are very happy with it. It is economical, easy to use, very complete and good customer care service. Hope it helps.
TedAldrin

I have been using eResource Scheduler for the management of my resources and projects. The software is very efficient in terms of scheduling and managing my resources on to the projects. The software has greatly enhanced the skill tracking in our organization. Earlier we used to drill down files and files in order to get the right resource for the right job but since the implementation of this system we have cut down on that time drastically. Now, i also have a clear visibility of my resources and their schedules, i know when they are available and when they are not. The booking chart module in the system help me to have a holistic view of my resource, their projects and the schedules. This helps in avoiding resource overloading which was very much evident when we used to manual plan projects. After the deployment of this system the productivity in our organization has increased since the right resource is working on the right job optimally.
maria.sarramito

I recommend 10,000ft for managing resources across multiple projects. It is particularly good if you are looking for a high-level management tool that shows you the overall state of your business. The main benefit of 10,000ft is that rather than focusing on detailed task like most project management solutions, it gives you the big picture of the state of your teams and projects. Basically it highlights the key information of each project, such as team members allocation, projects progress, remaining budget and upcoming deadlines. Good option if you're looking for a source of information to support well-informed strategic decisions. http://www.10000ft.com