Project Management Tips & Techniques Book

This forum is for members to share and gain knowledge of Project Management. Got a question about project management? Need help with a problem? Wish to offer tips and advice? Post here.
kwalford
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Any recommendations please? I am looking for a book/manual which provides Project Management Techniques (the how to, if you will). Thanks.
dhaughey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi there,

Try '21 Ways to Excel at Project Management' full of hints and tips for managing projects successfully.
21-ways-to-excel-at-project-management.pdf
(355.67 KiB) Downloaded 560 times
I'll be interested to hear what you think.

Duncan
kwalford
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Hi Duncan,

That was a good bit of 'light' reading. I find a lot of PM literature can be very mundane to read and in wording that is difficult to understand, well to a newbie anyway! However, I found this informative and pleasant to read at the same time.

I espicially liked the Checklist at the end too. The common mistakes section adds value. I did like the references to other reading and where statements were derived from, that's a good idea.

Was this manual a work in progress or is that the final version? It tells you what you need to do but not the how; it's missing reference to any particular Project techniques for example. This may of been your intention though to not go into detail on the techniques side.

It is clear from reading it that you are, or at least were, in the IT software industry.

Overall, I think it is really good and I wouldn't say that if I didn't genuinely think it too. My criticism is that the sections could be expanded into more detail; maybe giving recommendation to a technique or two which is relevant to what you are talking about in each section.

All the best,

Kit.
dhaughey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi Kit,

Thank you for your detailed feedback. I was aiming to write something easy to read and understand, giving the tips and advice I've built up over my years of project management.

The common mistakes are just that, I see them happening time and again, so well worth taking note of.

This is a finished version, however; I'm thinking of an update - so I'll take on-board your idea of adding techniques.

Good spot, I am managing IT development projects, however; the eBook is applicable to all project types.

Thanks again,
Duncan
kwalford
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

My pleasure. :)