What are the best remote working tips these days?

This forum is for members to share and gain knowledge of Project Management. Got a question about project management? Need help with a problem? Wish to offer tips and advice? Post here.
vartikakashyap

In my opinion, the Most Effective Work From Home Tips To Follow Right Now are:
  • Set a routine and maintain discipline
  • Schedule your daily tasks
  • Choose and set up workspace smartly
  • Keep distractions away
  • Take short breaks
  • Draw a clear line between work and personal life
  • Stay connected with your team
What are the best tips you are following right now to do effective remote work?
dhaughey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hello,

I agree, it's important to keep regular contact with your team. Shortly after lockdown started in the UK, my team began 30 minute lunchtime calls on Microsoft Teams. It's nice to have those informal water-cooler style chats. If possible, it's also nice to have a work space separated from your living space so at the end of each day you can close the door and forget work.

Stay safe!
Duncan
vartikakashyap

dhaughey wrote: Sun 24 May 2020 6:35 am Hello,

I agree, it's important to keep regular contact with your team. Shortly after lockdown started in the UK, my team began 30 minute lunchtime calls on Microsoft Teams. It's nice to have those informal water-cooler style chats. If possible, it's also nice to have a work space separated from your living space so at the end of each day you can close the door and forget work.

Stay safe!
Duncan
Yeah, absolutely right.
Shobana S
Recognised Member
Recognised Member

The current situation has not given any choice to the employees other than attending virtual or remote meetings to keep themselves connected to their organization.

But at some point, the Project Managers might get exhausted by attending neck to neck meetings and maintain the records of the discussions, decisions, and assignments made in the call. This way they may even lose concentration and attention during meetings. As a fellow employee, I’m also facing this situation every day with this work-communication gap.

Recently I started to use a free productivity tool, Marsview Notes https://bit.ly/2BjHrTL– it’s a meeting assistant. I quite rely on it for all my meetings with the team, customers, and even partners as it keeps all my conversations in one place by automatically taking notes of each meeting, creating important highlights of the discussion and also assigns with action items that can be simply assigned to remote teams.

[Editors Note: Marsview Notes is free for Zoom, but not for other conferencing tool integrations.]

[Disclosure: the poster is a Digital Marketer at Marsview.ai Inc.]
dhaughey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi Shobana S,

Thank you for the tip. Marsview Notes looks like an interesting tool. I suspect it is most useful for large conference style meetings, where there are many participants over an extended period. I think it would be overkill and more time consuming than hand written notes for weekly project meetings.

Duncan
AGupta

Hi Vartika,

A few remote working tips (and apologies if some of these sound redundant) that I find useful are:
  1. Rethinking your routine.
  2. Organizing your checkins with the team for a standard hour so that the meeting can remain synchronous.
  3. Conducting 1:1s and other non-stand up related meetings in rotations so that no one team is forced to stay past usual hours all the time.
  4. Set up a dedicated workspace at home and rearrange it till you are comfortable in terms of height adjustments and wrist movements. Ergonomics is very important when your options to move about are limited.
  5. Take breaks, but make a note of them so that you're managing your time properly during business hours.
  6. Plan meals in advance so that when its close to the actual hour you can enjoy eating it rather than spend more time cooking it and then watching the clock for when you have to be back in your seat!
  7. Find out what other team members are up to. Shoot a quick non-work related question to the common group or channel in order to get everyone talking. You may even get an office update out of it!
This is it for now. I'll add some more later if I remember them! Happy teleworking!
dhaughey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks, AGupta. A useful and thought provoking list.

It is important to set boundaries in your work and personal life. Even though many of us are working from home and don't have a commute, it is important to set a time when you finish work. Stop at the set time and don't look at emails until the morning.

Stay safe!
Duncan
josuahtdc

Scheduling the daily tasks is the most common working tips.

You have to be organised with all your tasks as well as your workstation

Josh
vartikakashyap

Shobana S wrote: Thu 18 Jun 2020 12:42 pm The current situation has not given any choice to the employees other than attending virtual or remote meetings to keep themselves connected to their organization.

But at some point, the Project Managers might get exhausted by attending neck to neck meetings and maintain the records of the discussions, decisions, and assignments made in the call. This way they may even lose concentration and attention during meetings. As a fellow employee, I’m also facing this situation every day with this work-communication gap.

Recently I started to use a free productivity tool, Marsview Notes https://bit.ly/2BjHrTL– it’s a meeting assistant. I quite rely on it for all my meetings with the team, customers, and even partners as it keeps all my conversations in one place by automatically taking notes of each meeting, creating important highlights of the discussion and also assigns with action items that can be simply assigned to remote teams.

[Editors Note: Marsview Notes is free for Zoom, but not for other conferencing tool integrations.]
Yes exactly, the current situation is a little difficult one but of course some productivity tools can really make a difference. They are really helpful.
vartikakashyap

AGupta wrote: Wed 24 Jun 2020 6:37 am Hi Vartika,

A few remote working tips (and apologies if some of these sound redundant) that I find useful are:
  1. Rethinking your routine.
  2. Organizing your checkins with the team for a standard hour so that the meeting can remain synchronous.
  3. Conducting 1:1s and other non-stand up related meetings in rotations so that no one team is forced to stay past usual hours all the time.
  4. Set up a dedicated workspace at home and rearrange it till you are comfortable in terms of height adjustments and wrist movements. Ergonomics is very important when your options to move about are limited.
  5. Take breaks, but make a note of them so that you're managing your time properly during business hours.
  6. Plan meals in advance so that when its close to the actual hour you can enjoy eating it rather than spend more time cooking it and then watching the clock for when you have to be back in your seat!
  7. Find out what other team members are up to. Shoot a quick non-work related question to the common group or channel in order to get everyone talking. You may even get an office update out of it!
This is it for now. I'll add some more later if I remember them! Happy teleworking!
Nice list of remote working tips. Thanks.